Monday, June 20, 2011

A day in Fort Peck

For me, the title of this blog post feels strange.  'A day in Fort Peck' considering we spent almost four years living in Fort Peck and now we just visit.  Its a weird feeling.

Anyways...

...this past Saturday, June 18th, was one of the busier weekends for the town of Fort Peck. 
It was supposed to be my first time participating in the Longest Dam Race.
Suppsed to be...did you catch that? 
Well, I'm over it now, but I had a rough mid-morning on Saturday. 
I missed the sign-in and start for the 5K at the Race due to a train on the tracks in good ole' Nashua.
URGH!!!

I got over it when Tony said, "Let's go check out the spillway instead."
So we did!

Natalie and Daddy headed over to the spillway.

There it is...water GUSHING out of the lake. 
CRAZY because all I have ever known of this spillway was dry cement.

These pictures do not do it justice whatsoever.
Its one of those things you need to experience for yourself in person.

A huge rapid at the end of the mile long spillway.

A family photo from the lake's side. 
And to think that just a couple years ago the water was about a half mile from here!

gallons and Gallons and GALLONS

From the lake side.

From the spillway side.
If the gates were closed the water would be 2 feet taller than the tops of the gates.

Again, but from the lower deck.

Checking it out from the trail on the west side. 

Natalie relying on her #1 guy!

And the lake.  Or is it the ocean? 

It goes on and on and on.

Mommy and her girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment